In the world of photography, showing a huge imagination allows the capture of the best moments. But it is also necessary to be equipped with professional lenses whose performance can meet expectations. If you want flawless results, it is essential to use an excellent quality lens that matches the sensor size of your DSLR. However, the choice of this accessory also depends on the distance from the object you want to take a picture of. If it is a landscape photo, the device to prioritize is the wide-angle one. To know the high-end brands and 10 best wide angle lenses of 2020, browse this guide which offers the best proposals. Among the latter, there is for example Canon 2750B005 a silent engine, which is all the more very resistant to external aggressions. There is also Nikon 20089 which gives excellent sharpness.
The 10 Best Wide Angle Lenses of the Year (Rating & Reviews)
1. Canon EF 24mm f/1.4 L II USM
When trying out different disciplines of photography, it is important to know how to choose the best wide angle lens to best experience this inclination. Without having a special design that catches the eye, this model has most of the features for this type of accessory.
With a 24mm size shot in wide-angle mode, the shots provide a greater immersion in the captured image. Thanks to an aspherical lens and a latest generation USM motor, the user has a fixed focal length while being as close as possible to the target to be aimed.
The large aperture of this instrument also helps reduce the depth of field captured, even at a very small distance.
As for the mechanism, it provides very rapid autofocus with less sound production. For those who prefer to perform their own calibration, manual focus is also accessible. In short, with the help of this model, obtaining sharp images without chronic aberrations is no longer impossible.
- Accessories: By unpacking the box, you have a circular polarizing filter and protection, a compatible lens hood and an extension tube.
- USM Motor: This essential element is as beneficial for optimal shooting as it is for rapid aperture, as well as for very precise focusing.
- The Performance: In an area with little light or at night, the aspherical lens combined with the Super UD treatment delivers sharp shots, depending on your settings.
- The Weight: It is a shame that this lens weighs 650 grams with the equipment, knowing that it is still necessary to bring several instruments.
2. Nikon Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S Wide Angle Lens
For lovers of versatile photography accessories, the performance of this model makes it very practical, whatever the event to be immortalized. Starting with flawless efficiency regardless of the intensity of the light, this lens is intended for hybrid cameras.
Thanks to a large f/2.8 aperture and a circular diaphragm with 9 blades, this instrument plays with distance, lighting and type of capture.
Using autofocus and manual focus, the Z mount paired with an optical design with 17 lenses in 15 groupings provides immersive depth to your shots.
To speed up the settings, an AF lock and the presence of an OLED screen simplify the photographer's life. In FX format, it incorporates an angle of view between 84° to 34° x 20°, and in DX the figures are from 61° to 22° x 50°. Best of all, its hermetic character makes it a trusted ally in any place and any location.
- Convenient: Without wasting time with checking the default settings, a monitor displays several information about the current settings of the lens.
- ARNEO Coating: This type of coating process, combined with the nanocrystal, permanently eliminates the parasites produced by an incidence of light.
- Programmable: With a command left unassigned, it is easy to set any function to FN with the 21 options available.
- Compatibility: Only for Hybrid Cameras. For a camera with other models this lens will not be compatible/suitable.
3. Empire 3 in 1 Camera Lens Universal Lens
Before getting started with the camera and thinking where to buy the best wide-angle lens, why not give it a try with your smartphone? Indeed, this lens is intended for the latest cell phones for even more successful images.
Equipped with the Fisheye lens, this small lens widens the field of view to near 180°. The advantage lies in the result of the shot which allows the subject to be captured, but also its environment without performing various inclinations.
This set of 3 instruments consists of a 145° wide-angle sensor, a macro model with 15 times zoom and another transparent fisheye.
Whatever the brand of your phone and the system, between Android and iOS, these lenses will be compatible. Just by hanging it on your back or front device, the magic of visual art is revealed with the 3 lenses.
- The Price: For a start in digital art, this smartphone accessory offers a cheap cost accessible to the mass.
- Universal Model: Without making a distinction as to reference or origin, this device is compatible with any type of telephone equipped with a photo sensor.
- Simple: In order not to complicate the configuration of this product on the laptop, it has a clamp that allows it to be held on the walls of the Smartphone.
- The Number of Sensors: If the acquisition of a magnifying zoom lens was part of your intention, this lot does not have such an accessory.
4. Meike 8mm f/3.5 Ultra Wide Angle Manual Focus
For owners of Nikon cameras equipped with a CMOS sensor, this Nikon D5300 wide angle lens promises to come in handy anytime. With a stable 8mm focal length offering excellent effect, it is able to focus in a space of only 10 cm, between the accessory and the subject.
Regarding the aperture, it widens over a large field characterized by the symbol f/3.5-f/22. For information on the multiple inclinations, this lens provides a diagonal angle of 200°, horizontal of 160° and vertical of 104°.
By combining low-light performance and enhanced sharpness, this accessory also has a compact design for less strenuous transport.
To bring together the various accessible shots, the lens structure is made up of 8 groups with 11 discs. Besides the lens, the necessary instruments for its use are included.
- Focusing: In automatic and manual mode, it is possible to stabilize the sensor, even at 10 cm from its target.
- For CMOS: The DSLR models of the brand are spoiled by this accessory which is both versatile and powerful, making it practical if you are looking for a Nikon D3200 wide-angle lens.
- Metal Body: With such a characteristic, the life of this lens is increased without exaggerating efforts during its maintenance.
- Weight: Its steel design will have only one drawback which is to weigh down the whole when mounted on a camera.
5. Panasonic Lumix Fixed Focal Length Lens for Micro Sensor
If one has a basic requirement for a wide-angle lens, this model is a reasonable alternative for capturing excellent images. For those who are not fans of very large sensors, this instrument is available in a flattened form to minimize the bulk.
It weighs only 87 gram, with a length of 2.56 cm and a thickness of 6.3 cm. On its photographic performance, it incorporates a fixed focal length of 20 mm with a wide F/1.7 aperture. Without being fooled by its appearance, this lens provides excellent light whether the capturing photos is day or night.
Thanks to 2 aspherical lenses and a design of 7 elements divided into 5 groups, image distortions and aberrations are reduced.
Without making any distinction between brand, this model is installed on micro 4/3 mounts. The minimum focus accessible with this sensor is 20 cm.
- Compactness: Knowing what this wide-angle lens can do, its small size and slim design make it even more convenient.
- The Finish: In order to ensure the longevity of the accessory, the manufacturer opts for a metal case and the result is more than successful.
- Versatility: While it is compatible with several devices with a certain frame size, it is also effective day and night.
- Focus: If you are used to professional type cameras, this model is not very responsive to focal stabilization.
6. Sony FE f/2.8 GM SEL 16-35 GM
Performing certain effects on photos involves mastering techniques, but also the quality of the equipment. For wide-angle shots, this product has almost everything you need.
On an F2/8 ground, this lens allows a stable view over a wide variety of dimensions. This is partly possible thanks to the Sony XA dual lens which erases distortions and maintains resolution. The 16mm to 35mm focal length offers considerable support to capture what is in the background.
Apparently, this accessory would be an asset to achieve a bokeh. The aperture has 11 adjustable slats, for a satisfactory blur rendering in the background.
Whether you are a professional or a beginner, the application will not be a problem, as the fast autofocus allows efficient adjustment in no time. In addition, an AR coating has been put in place to limit disturbing light shots.
- Artistic: Playing on the background blur is a specialty of this model, insofar as it can enhance the aspect of the horizon without spoiling the environment.
- Compact: This tool does not present too much space for the user, hence its great maneuverability, even in difficult positions.
- Efficient: Due to the complexity of the components and their reaction, it is possible to achieve beautiful images in a short time.
- The Rendering: Unfortunately, the vignetting seems very marked in the wider opening, which spoils the expected result.
7. Universal 3 in 1 Smartphone Lens
Even with a smartphone, it is possible to perfect your photos, by simply adding equipment. This is particularly the case with this affordable 3 in 1 portable lens.
This sets in as quickly as it withdraws. Thanks to a clip-on fixing system, it is placed directly on the opening of your phone's camera to perform the effects.
You will find 3 interchangeable parts in the set: a macro, a micro and a fish-eye. The latter allows certain characteristics to be highlighted, based on its convex lenses. You will thus obtain a distorted view on 235°, with a rather unique perspective.
The other 2 can be used to extend or provide precision when taking. Apparently, this kind of accessory is compatible with most devices on the market, but in any case, it is compulsory to check before purchasing.
- Nomad: Anywhere and anytime, this accessory can be operational without power. Plus, it doesn't take up much space in a bag.
- Fixing: You will be able to take pictures in just a few manipulations. The clamp fits, in fact, to most models of smart phones.
- Kit: No longer limit yourself to a single lens, this bundle has 3 for a wider variety of effects. Explore all the possibilities of your device.
- Compatibility: On some devices, the equipment does not attach properly. Remember to check this detail before buying.
8. Pentax FA35mm F2 Versatile Wide Angle Lens
Which wide-angle lens to choose? For those who are in the K series, this model has advantages that might interest professionals. In particular, it is suitable for the wide grip at 35 mm with a high quality rendering.
Whether for a snapshot, a landscape or other application, this material has great versatility in addition to its ease of use.
For an effective grip, the article is accompanied by a mechanical SR stabilization. It will allow you to quickly adjust imperfections in the field.
Equipped with an improved aspherical lens, this model is able to keep good sharpness even at a certain distance. The SP treatment applied will be a guarantee of its longevity, because it is known to have optimal protection against water and dust. Weighing 193 grams, this material offers adequate ergonomics with proven compactness for travel.
- Hybrid Lenses: Able to obtain a stable image over different distance levels, these components are essential for illustrating in detail.
- Portable: Having a compact shape, fragility is minimized and the tool can be moved with peace of mind.
- Good Value for Money: If we refer to its weight and its gripping qualities, it is clear that this device is offered at a very interesting price.
- Limited: Although it shows good results, it is not suitable for some camera models by its digital system.
9. Sigma Lens 16 mm F/1.4 DC DN Contemporary
Before looking for the best brand of wide-angle lenses, it's best to focus on your real needs. If it is compatible with your device, this model has quite specific characteristics. With an aperture of f/1.4, it is capable of delivering sharp images.
The general controlled behavior gives it an easy grip for beginners as well as for pros. There is also a certain comfort in handling with the very precise focusing ring.
What distinguishes this item would be its resistance: it is marked by a solid construction. This structure gives it optimal protection against bad weather and difficult conditions.
Image correction is not limited to the lens alone, the exterior assembly and edges reduce vignetting and any distortion. The same is also true for the quality of the glasses.
- Resistant: The manufacturers have given themselves the means on this model, we notice this by its reinforced design. It can be useful even when severely tested in bad weather.
- Precise Controls: Manual adjustment on the lens allows easy use of different perspectives.
- Sharpness: In its specific field f1/4, it delivers a good performance, especially in the image quality.
- In addition to being quite bulky, it seems that the dive is useless at wide opening.
10. Panasonic Leica Wide Angle Zoom Lens
Buying a good lens doesn't have to be looking for the most efficient and expensive one, because sometimes you should try versatile models like this. With a focal range of 8 to 18 mm, this accessory is capable of achieving an f/2.8 shot. What specifies it of others, in particular, lies in its proven maneuverability. It also has good visibility, especially for wide angle shots.
Its optimal build quality gives it ease of use and long-term strength. For those who are effect lovers, they will not be disappointed with the performance of this item.
According to professional advice, other factors that could affect the final rendering of the image should be monitored. Precisely, this material is provided with a weak vignetting and a control of the distortions. Nonetheless, it lacks homogeneity of the sharpness to some extent.
- Efficient: For shooting in extreme conditions where precision is not much needed, this is the right accessory. Even in the absence of focus, it comes out with optimal renderings.
- Lightweight: With a weight of approximately 300 gram, the user will not be in any way encumbered when traveling.
- Fluid: The passage from 8 to 18 mm is carried out in a brief manner. It will be possible to work the field at any time and take quick shots.
- Image: Although this equipment shows great performance, homogeneity defects were seen in the images.
Buying Guide for Wide Angle Lenses
As the image is presently omnipresent, it is no surprise that we are now witnessing an increased enthusiasm for this area. If you are an amateur in the world of photography, be aware that the rendering of your photos can vary considerably depending on the equipment and material you have, but also, and above all, depending on the lens. This is also the reason why this element should not be chosen at random. To better enlighten you, we invite you to browse our buying guide for the best wide-angle lenses.
The Quality and Reputation of the Lens
The difference between a worst and a best wide angle lens centers on the focal length, which must be less than 24 mm for a full frame camera and, more or less less than 18 mm for an APS-C type camera. Such an element will allow you to better develop your perspectives, ideal for landscape photos.
However, before you start hunting for the best product, we recommend that you first distinguish how to buy a better-value wide-angle lens. Indeed, far from being a simple accessory, this will be an opportunity to invest sustainably.
In this sense, it is always better to prioritize quality, as this can significantly influence the definition, sharpness and contrast of the photo. And contrary to what one might think, this aspect is intrinsically linked to the brand of the material. As you will have understood, blindly pouncing on the cheapest item that you will come across in a comparison is a rookie mistake. And firstly, it could be that the model is not compatible with your camera, and secondly, you also run the risk of dishonoring your profession through poor quality renderings.
We therefore recommend that you always bet on companies that have already proven themselves in the field and to remain attentive to user feedback.
Full Frame or APS-C?
This dilemma often arises in determining which is the best wide-angle lens on the market. Indeed, to get the maximum benefit from your purchase, you should not neglect the compatibility of the camera and the lens in question. Yes, if you make the wrong choice, you won't even be able to place the equipment on your hardware. In other words, models designed for APS-C cannot accommodate a full frame sensor. And if, by chance, the 2 elements manage to fit together, the rendering will not be as satisfactory.
For example, if you take a 16-35 mm lens developed for a full frame while you have an APS-C, you will obtain as a result the equivalent of a 24-52 mm, which will not allow you to have the "wide-angle" effect.
So, before looking for where to buy a new wide-angle lens, we advise you to define the type of camera you have in your possession. If we offered it to you, you will be able to distinguish this aspect in the instructions of the material.
The Maximum Aperture of the Diaphragm
So that you can have an item that can meet your requirements and make a perfect match with your area of intervention, we also advise you to take this criterion into consideration before any purchase. It is often referred to on the lens and is preceded by the indication "f /", the smaller the number, the larger the aperture.
However, it will not be as necessary to have equipment with a large aperture if your goal is to do mostly landscapes. Indeed, if this is the case, you will have to work with a figure between f/11 and f/14.
On the other hand, for reports or wedding photos in an enclosed space, this criterion should be considered to know how to choose the best wide-angle lenses of 2020. Indeed, a large opening will allow you to benefit from a speed of faster shutter and blurry renderings in the background.
Thus, this aspect should be compared according to your practices. However, always remember that it will be significantly more beneficial for you to have one model that opens at f/2.8 rather than one at f/4. Moreover, the cost of these 2 items will be different in a price comparison.
Fixed Focal Length or Wide Angle Zoom?
If some photographers do not appreciate being in constant movement during their shots, others favor movement towards their target to find the ideal point of view. Here, it's all about preference. A fixed focal length has the advantage of being light and is reputed to offer nice blurs. However, you will have to move to better frame. On another slope, the zoom holds the card of versatility and won't force you to make trips, which is perfect for creating quick compositions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: What is a wide-angle lens?
There are different kinds of lenses that can be used to obtain tables of varying resolution. To take a landscape photo, the higher angle one is most appropriate. The lens who has a very wide viewing angle called wide angle lens, thanks to its short focal length which can be adjustable or fixed. With the first type, it is easy to perform zooms to enlarge the images you want to capture.
However, with the other genre, it is only possible to take panorama photos. It then allows the visualization of everything you have in front of you. Still, it is not recommended to take portraits if this is the kind of equipment you are using, as it will distort the edges and will not show the sharpness to the face.
You may also like to read: Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM – The Best Wide Angle Lens
Q2: Why a wide-angle lens?
If you have creativity, this type of lens is the best for you. Indeed, it gives a very extensive framing and opens up space in a photo. So you have a large surface to make a very successful image composition. However, you must be careful with its use, because by encompassing the entire scene, parasites could stain without your being aware of it.
The system of this material also offers a certain depth that allows the background of a subject to be captured in crispness. Plus, its compact and lightweight characters reduce motion blur when shooting, even if you're working in a low-light space. It is available in a lot of models which are all professional.
You may also like to read: Advantages of Wide Angle Lens: Why is the Wide Angle Lens So Popular in Photography?
Q3: How to recognize a wide angle lens?
If you are still new to the world of photography, it is normal that you do not know how to identify this kind of device at first glance. When making your purchase, you must therefore check each characteristic of the product in question one by one.
First of all, the focal length must be short: if it is below 28 to 24 millimeters, it means that it is a wide-angle lens. When this point is above this margin, it is a telephoto lens which does not allow the field of vision to be widened. And this other genre usually has a focal length of 50 millimeters and more.
You may also like to read: What is the Best Canon Wide Angle Lens of 2020?
Q4: When to use a wide angle lens?
This accessory allows you to vary the scenes to be taken, since it allows zooming of various magnitudes. On the one hand, the best opportunity to make use of it is when you want to photograph a landscape with a panoramic view mode.
But it's just as easy to take portraits with a high-quality, deep background included. On the other hand, if you are looking for a circular view of the surroundings that you want to capture, you can use a short focal length fisheye lens that will distort the horizon line for a very stylish rendering.