Today’s topic is ‘Best Sony Camcorder of The Year,” and we’ll discuss its top camcorder models. Sony is one of the famous manufacturers in terms of computer and camera accessories. The Japanese brand is also present in the camcorder market with its technological advances, which have somewhat revolutionized the field.
The company has launched a wide range of equipment aimed at satisfying all profiles of camerapersons and videographers, amateurs or professionals.
For example, Sony FDR-AX100 4K Camcorder is intended for connoisseurs with its high-speed image quality and XAVC S format. Sony FDR-AX53 4K Camcorder has a balanced optical steady shot, and a 5-axis stabilizer allowing the suppression jerks when shooting in motion. And the Sony FDR-AX33 4K Camcorder caters to die-hard travelers with its compact form.
Sony FDR-AX100 20.0 Mpix 4K Camcorder
This Sony 4K camcorder will help you capture videos in high bitrate HD format. Its performance also allows it to support up to 50 MBITS/S. You will relive your memories in high resolution.
However, the FDR-AX100 is criticized for its somewhat complex handling. Since this is a professional Sony camcorder, beginners find it hard to understand its various functions during the first few steps.
If you have a large budget to invest in a high-performance, quality, high-end device, the FDR-AX100 might be the best choice.
First Runner Up
Sony FDR-AX53 4K Camcorder 20x Optical Zoom
The unique feature of the FDR-AX53 lies in its Balanced Optical Steady Shot technology. The 5-axis system ensures the reduction of jolts and vibrations during filming, which will allow you to shoot your movies while enjoying good stability while you are on the move.
With the recording capacity of this equipment, some users claim that two card slots would be more convenient. It increases the storage memory and thus works better.
Bringing together different powerful technologies and delivering high image quality, this model offers the best value for money on our list.
Second Runner Up
Sony FDR-AX33 4K Camcorder 10x Optical Zoom
The FDR-AX33 impresses users with its ergonomics. It is a compact device that will accompany you everywhere without cluttering you. It does not take up much space in business, making it an attractive ally for travelers wishing to film their journeys.
We would have preferred a viewfinder a tad larger. Thus, it would not put in difficulty people with some vision problems. It would tire the eyes less on prolonged uses.
This Sony HD camcorder can be taken anywhere easily. In addition, it also embeds several exciting technologies, including BOSS optical stabilization. You can have it at an affordable price.
Buying Guide: How to Choose A Best Sony Camcorder?
Camcorders are seen today somewhat neglected with the advent of smartphones which offer more and more performance. However, this device still has many advantages, and connoisseurs are always surprised by the technological innovations brought to them. And if you want to know how to buy a better value Sony Camcorder, you have come to the right place. There are following details you have to pay attension before buying a Sony Camcorder:
1. Type of Storage
Before determining which model will suit you best, it is imperative to identify the type of equipment that will appeal to you. Here, I inform you about the different systems used by the brand as a storage medium to facilitate your research on price comparison.
DV & Mini-DV Cassettes: This is the oldest category of these devices. A reference in the field and relatively reliable digital recording, it has seen its cost drop over the years. It becomes affordable. However, it offers a capacity of up to one hour of video with an image resolution of 720 x 576 pixels.
Its disadvantage lies in the conservation of cassettes. These are particularly sensitive to light and humidity.
Hard Disk: The main advantage here is defined by the time saving provided during media transfer to a PC. In addition, this type of camcorder does not require an external recording medium. It saves you the hassle of carrying these accessories during your travels. Despite this, this device may be limited by its memory capacity, as you will have to unload the media to make room for new takes.
DVD or Mini-DVD: This model is distinguished by the presence of a DVD inside, allowing the backup of your video shoots. It offers the possibility of immediately reading the disc on a player without going through the PC.
Depending on the quality and format of the media, you will enjoy between 20 min to 60 min of film. However, this support remains fragile. It scratches pretty easily.
It is also essential to check the compatibility of the disc type with your playback device. We also have DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD + RW, or DL.
Memory Card: Probably the most widely used on the market today. The recording is done on the module, while the latter accepts all video formats. Your choice, as well as the allocated budget, will possibly depend on its capacity. You can find commercially available specimens of 4 GB to 1 TB of space, capable of storing hundreds of hours of video.
2. Image Definition
Even if you don’t plan to use your model in the professional arena, it is still a good idea to turn to an article that will get you beautiful images every time you watch the recorded videos. It is one of the reasons that justify the presence of this criterion in this buying guide for the best Sony camcorders of the moment.
This quality will depend entirely on the sensor that will equip your device. Keep in mind that the larger the better, and it will deliver a better rendering. The resolution is expressed in pixels and in ascending order you have: SD (720x480p), HD (1280x720p), full HD (1920x1080p), ultra HD (3840x2160p) and 4K (4096x2160p).
Do not forget either that you must also consider the playback support of your media since if you opt for a 4K, for example, you will have to connect your device to a compatible device.
3. Ergonomics and Additional Options
Are you wondering which is the best Sony camcorder in the market? Prioritize the ease of handling of the product in question. Its user manual must accompany the better but ensure that the various buttons that lead to the available functions remain easy to access.
Regarding its size, it is essential to take an eye on its size and weight, especially if you plan to use it for a long time, which could tire your arm.
Pay special attention to its autonomy. Indeed, it is always unpleasant to run out of battery or batteries while recording. Also, check the presence of the different connectors in your camcorder because they guarantee the multifunctionality of your model. I am talking about the USB, HDMI, or USB-C input here.
Some references even allow the connection of an audio headset or an external microphone for the most professional. Wireless connectivity, including Wi-Fi, will make it possible to pair wirelessly with your smartphone or PC.
9 Best Sony Camcorders of The Year (Rating & Reviews)
1. Sony FDR-AX100 4K Camcorder
By looking at the features of the FDR-AX100, you will immediately know this is the best Sony camcorder around. The brand sets the bar high against its competitors by offering a model capable of filming in 4K with reduced dimensions. Also, this model embeds a concentrate of technology to provide you with a user experience of the most innovative during its handling.
Equipped with a 1″ sensor coupled to a 29 mm wide-angle Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T lens and 12x optical zoom, this camcorder will provide you with the most precise rendering during your shots. Using the 0.39″ OLED oriental electronic viewfinder offers high magnification and comfortable aiming.
This camcorder comes with an array of accessories to maximize your convenience in use, so you don’t have to make additional purchases. It includes the USB connection cable, the micro HDMI cable, the lens hood, the rechargeable battery with 130 minutes of autonomy, and the lens protector. Note that the presence of the NFC makes it possible to configure your equipment from your tablet or smartphone.
If you are interested in this Sony Camcorder, it is available on Amazon for $1298. Buy It Now!
- Image Quality: Thanks to XAVC S technology, this device will deliver 4K/HD quality to you. It is capable of shooting at 50 MBITS/S to provide you with high-resolution recordings with fine details.
- Multiple Connections: This model has several peripherals whose mission is to increase your comfort in use. You will find an HDMI plug, a headphone output, another micro-USB type, one for a microphone in Jack format, a USB for transferring your data without forgetting the cable for the power supply.
- Menu Not Intuitive: If you are a new user, you will need some adaptation time to assimilate all the features of this product.
2. Sony FDR-AX53 4K Camcorder
As it is not always easy to identify which Sony camcorder to choose, I recommend that you take the time to dwell on the peculiarities of the models offered. Thus, comparing the different brand variations will help you select the reference that will best meet your expectations.
And if you want to bet on a device easy to handle and suitable for amateurs as well as the most meticulous. I recommend the FDR-AX53. It is an item equipped with a 3″ LCD touch screen with 921K dots resolution. This setup will deliver you crisp slides with crisp detail while viewing.
This model also includes connectors allowing a stereo microphone, an external flash, or a tripod. The menu setting can also be done via the remote control. This variation ranks in the category of models capable of providing 4 K images thanks in particular to a winning combination between its 1/2 to 5, 16.6-megapixel EXMOR R CMOS sensor for sensitivity and its Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T lens.
If you are interested in this Sony Camcorder, it is available on Amazon for $998. Buy It Now!
- Optical Stabilization: This camera can suppress vibrations to ensure better shooting conditions by using the Balanced Optical SteadyShot system. It then delivers an optimal rendering of the images even for a moving user.
- Sound Quality: Thanks to its built-in 5.1 channel microphone, this equipment can capture sounds from 5 different directions. In this way, you can relive the acoustic atmosphere of the event during the broadcast.
- Slot for One Card Only: Users estimate that this model should offer two storage spaces because of the heavy resolution of its videos.
3. Sony FDR-AX33 4K Camcorder
In this comparison, the performance of the FDR-AX33 is not left out against its competitors. Before we noticed that 4K camcorders always had large measurements, Sony has revolutionized this concept by offering its consumers this light and compact equipment.
Its 3″ Fine LCD touch monitor makes it easy to use. Thanks to White Magic technology, you will have no difficulty reading the display even in bright light or when the sun is in full swing. This reference remains practical, especially for outdoor filming. As for its capacities, this variation is not lagging. Equipped with the BIONZ X processor and the EXMOR R 1/2.3″ CMOS sensor, it delivers a graphic resolution of 8.29 MP in video and 20.6 MP in photo mode.
The ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T lens coupled with Direct Real Out will help you shoot movies in 4K/HD or other formats like AVCHD or MPEG-4. If you are an amateur in the field, you can rely on automatic tuning. Manual setup is also available for those who don’t want to waste time editing slideshows.
If you are interested in this Sony Camcorder, it is available on Amazon for $639.99. Buy It Now!
- Compact and Ergonomic: Weighing at around 500 grams and featuring a 3″ touchscreen, this model is easily transported while on the go and won’t tire your arm when using it for long periods.
- Steady Shot: SteadyShot kicks in to minimize shake when recording. The image quality will not be impaired during your movements.
- Multi-Camera Control: With multicamera mode, you can connect up to five devices and thus shoot from five different angles.
- Viewfinder Size: The component is relatively small, making it difficult for some people to see it.
4. Sony HDR-CX625 Full HD Camcorder
The HDR-CX625 is also one of the benchmarks to consider before deciding where to buy a new Sony camcorder. This material can seduce you with its performance. First of all, the brand has given it the unique stabilization programming dubbed BOSS, intended to be a manufacturer’s exclusive technology aimed at minimizing shaking during filming.
Based on a 5-axis configuration, it eliminates vibrations to make video playback as comfortable as possible. This specimen advances various innovations such as autofocus or even time-lapse capture and 30x optical zoom.
This equipment also offers videos in many formats ranging from HD XAVC S of 1920×1080 / 60p to mp4 of 1280×720 / 25p. Regarding its connections, you will have at your disposal the USB for file transfer, the memory card slot for backup, but also the Mini HDMI and multi / AV output.
If you are interested in this Sony Camcorder, it is available on Amazon for $469. Buy It Now!
- Intelligent Technology: This model features a system capable of automatically regulating the recorded images’ sharpness, fluidity, and stability. You will thus enjoy good quality slideshows with each shot.
- Lens Capacity: With the Sony G™, this camera exhibits a wide viewing angle of 26.8 mm. It can capture an entire scene inside the house, even in a reasonably small area.
- Not Very Explicit Booklet: Users think that the user manual is not clear enough on specific points. It complicates the handling somewhat for some users.
5. Sony HDR-PJ410 Full HD Camcorder
As it is positioned as the best brand of camcorders, Sony offers products of different ranges to its consumers. Among the so-called medium ones is the HDR-PJ410. It is a model equipped with an HDMI cable, a mains adapter, and a USB output. The USB is attached to the equipment, so you don’t have to look for it when transferring files or loading from your PC.
The particularity of this model lies in the presence of the pico-projector at the back of the 2.7″ viewing screen. So you can read immediately after your shoots without going through the PC connection. The 1/5 EXMOR R CMOS Sensor improves rendering and eliminates annoying background noise when it comes to performance.
The BIONZ X processor combined with the 26.8mm Vario-Tesar lens from Carl Zeiss will give you an effective resolution of 2.29 MP in video and 9.2 MP in photos. This device also has many settings in manual mode. Automatic programming is suitable for amateur videographers. They will not need to configure the display themselves in AVCHD, MP4, or XAVC S format.
If you are interested in this Sony Camcorder, it is available on Amazon for $529. Buy It Now!
- Built-In Projector: Using this feature, you can immediately stream the video you recorded right to the wall or when you are in the dark. It is activated at the push of a button.
- Wireless Technologies: This model can be paired with your smartphone from a Wi-Fi or NFC connection. Either way, you’ll be able to access its options from your location and through a specific app.
- Separate Memory Card: The accessory is not in the set. You will have to get it in addition.
6. Sony HDR-CX450 Classic Camcorders
The HDR-CX450 is a good candidate if you are looking for a high-performance item but don’t want to spend a fortune. First of all, this model weighs 200 grams, which considerably facilitates its handling. With this lightweight, it won’t tire the palm of your hand despite using it for long periods, at least until the battery runs out.
This device also includes the various technologies that make the reputation of the brand. We particularly find the EXMOR R 1/5 CMOS Sensor, the SteadyShot optical stabilizer, or the Zeiss 26.8 mm wide-angle lens with 30x optical zoom.
It is possible to select the different video formats while the whole is packaged in a graphics resolution of 2.29 MP. When shooting, you can count on the autofocus but also on the noise canceling function. It is practical to minimize the intensity of your voice behind the equipment.
If you are interested in this Sony Camcorder, it is available on Amazon for $369. Buy It Now!
- High-Speed Recording: By switching to the XAVC S format, you will have a writing capacity of around 50 MBIT/S. The result obtained remains evident in the details of the recording.
- Surround Sound: The built-in microphone with a 5.1 channel provides optimal sound capture. It accurately captures the acoustic frequency of the environment before reproducing it under similar circumstances.
- Screen Brightness: We are a little disappointed with the low lighting of the monitor. It doesn’t remain easy to read when positioning yourself in a place with a lot of sun.
7. Sony HDRCX505VE Handycam
Before considering where to buy the best Sony camcorder around, there are a few things that you need to consider. One of the essential criteria remains the quality of the image, which challenge is taken up by the HDRCX505VE.
To achieve this, the brand has developed an excellent combination of an EXMOR R CMOS sensor for sensitivity, a Sony G lens to induce slight chromatic aberration as well as a 3-axis stabilizer to ward off jerks during filming.
To view your media, you can count on the 3″ screen through which you will access the “My menu” configuration. The latter allows the configuration of the various possible options. The monitor is also touch-sensitive to simplify handling as much as possible.
This model only weighs in at 450 grams in terms of ergonomics, so prolonged use doesn’t tire you out quickly. As for its performance, this camcorder offers you the opportunity to record 1920x1080p Full HD videos. It has a 32 GB flash memory ensuring the storage of more than 13 hours of film.
If you are interested in this Sony Camcorder, it is available on Amazon for $1045. Buy It Now!
- GPS Function: With this option, you have the possibility of geolocating your location. It is also used to mark your films if you want to give a place to your shooting.
- Double Storage: This model has an integrated hard drive for backing up your media. You can add an SD card to the slot to increase its memory capacity.
- Lack of Some Elements: According to some users, this model remains essential in terms of its connections. Indeed, it does not integrate a headphone or microphone jack, which could displease the most meticulous.
8. Sony HDR-CX405 Full HD Camcorder
The HDR-CX405 can fulfill its mission if you are looking for compact, efficient and inexpensive equipment. From the height of 12.8 x 5.4 x 5.95 cm and its weight of 190 grams, slipping this device among your things will not cause you any clutter. It is the same during its use. It will not tire your hand despite continuous use.
This model has also convinced consumers of the quality of the images it delivers. The EXMOR R CMOS sensor ensures optimal slide sharpness while minimizing outside sounds, even in unfavorable environments. At the same time, the Vario-Tessar and Zeiss lens guarantees better lenses.
The BIONZ X processor comes into play for image processing. All this provides HD rendering of your videos with meticulous and precise details. In terms of connections, you have a USB cable integrated into the strap for transferring your files or for charging the battery in the event of a roadstead.
If you are interested in this Sony Camcorder, it is available on Amazon for $198. Buy It Now!
- Ergonomic: With its lightweight of only 190 grams, it can be transported without bulk during your travels. And thanks to its reduced dimensions, it will not give you any discomfort either during its handling or storage.
- Easy to Use: The configuration and the choice of your options will be carried out in a childish simplicity. If you have ever had the opportunity to handle a digital camera, you will not have difficulty understanding this device.
- No Viewfinder: The shooting is carried out only on the screen, which may not suit users who seek more precision.
9. Sony HDR-CX240 Handycam Camcorder
The Sony HDR-CX240 stands out above all of its peers by its classic look coupled with elegant finishes. Available in gray and black, it exhibits a relatively understated and refined style. Without a viewfinder, the touch screen moves forward to ensure viewing of the subject to be filmed.
Like all of the latest generations of camcorders produced by the brand, it is also equipped with innovative technologies such as the EXMOR R CMOS sensor, the 29.8 mm wide-angle lens, or the BIONZ X processor fitted with a 27x optical zoom.
In terms of connections, you can count on the USB device protected by a rubber cover for transferring files and charging the battery. It has an HDMI output making it possible to view your shootings live on the TV. As for its ergonomics, its weight of only 190 grams will simplify your handling.
If you are interested in this Sony Camcorder, it is available on Amazon for $225. Buy It Now!
- Long Autonomy: Equipped with the type X battery, this device can continuously hold for one hour 30 min. So you don’t risk breaking down at the most crucial moment.
- Recording Functions: This Sony Handycam camcorder includes a setting ensuring the storage of the same video in two different formats. It will prevent you from going through the PC box to perform a conversion.
- Card not Included in The Pack: The module which will serve as its storage memory is not in the set. However, it also gives you the flexibility to choose the capacity that suits your needs.
Additional Accessories for Sony Camcorder
1. Sony Camcorder Battery
The advice of connoisseurs leads to the purchase of quality accessories to optimize the performance of your device. This module will therefore replace the battery of your camcorder in the event of damage.
The NP-FV70 incorporates ActiFORCE technology to increase the autonomy of the equipment, reduce the charging time, and offer an accurate display of its capacity.
Indeed, this InfoLithium specimen will give you an operating time that can reach 7 hours in reading mode and around 4 hours in the full shooting.
It is compatible with various ranges, including several models of the AX, CX, VG series, and the PJ620.
If you are interested it is available on Amazon for $89. Buy It Now!
2. Remote Control for Sony Camcorder
With the RMVPR1, you will no longer need to operate your device directly. This accessory will allow the triggering of the taking of slides, the start of the video shooting, its stop, and the adjustment of the zoom and the locking of the shutter.
Thanks to this, you will avoid touching your equipment and ensure the stability of the whole when recording. Easy to use, this tool does not require special handling skills. It is compatible with a variety of cameras as well as with several Handycam camcorders.
If you are interested it is available on Amazon for $62.87. Buy It Now!
3. Sony Hi8 HMP Camcorder Cassette
A camcorder is useless without a recording medium in it. Even if we live in the digital world, the good old cassettes are not neglected and still have some advantages.
If you are looking for one for your Sony Handycam, we present this reference. It supports 8mm MP image resolution. It also has high quality and viability. In addition, it will allow you to film over 90 minutes in all.
Enough to save you the day if your SD card is full in the middle of the shoot.
If you are interested it is available on Amazon for $59.99. Buy It Now!
You may also like to read: 23 Tips on How to Shoot Video Properly?
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: How to connect Sony camcorder to PC?
Once you have learned how to choose the best Sony camcorders of 2020, it is also essential to pair it with your desktop or laptop computer. In general, there are three ways you can do this depending on the materials you have on hand.
First, you will connect your equipment with your device using an A/V (audio/video) patch cable. If your model does not come with a video capture cable, then you must purchase it separately.
Connect the end of the A/V cable to the outputs of your camcorder and connect it with the acquisition plug, which contains a USB device. The latter then plugs into the computer accessory. Turn on the camcorder and leave in VCR, VTR, or Playback mode, depending on your preference. Note, however, that you must equip your PC with import software to download media.
The second technique is to use the i-LINK (IEEE 1394) jack on your PC. Find it; it can be on the front, back, or sides. Here, you will not need a specific driver for installation, but some models of the brand require installing an application (to be found on the internet) such as Play-Memories Home. For example, on articles of the DCR or HDR series. The software serves as a platform for transferring videos and photos and modifying or changing their format.
The last method remains the simplest. Just plug a USB cable between your camcorder and your PC to make the connection. It will also allow the copying and transferring of media from your hardware memory card.
Q2: Where can I get a Sony camcorder repaired?
If your model has a problem or needs repair, it is best to contact the seller or after-sales service at the store where you got your device, especially if you still have the warranty. In another case, always be sure to turn to an electronics specialist.
Q3: How to charge a Sony Handycam camcorder?
Locate the USB cable entry, which is usually located on the handle or strap. It is often protected by a rubber that is lifted. Then all you have to do is plug in the charger and connect it to a socket.
Q4: How to play video on Sony camcorder?
Once you’ve shot your video, look for the button that will take you to the camcorder’s gallery. Switch between media using the directional keys as soon as you find your recording, press Play to start playback.
Q5: Which memory card for a Sony camcorder?
The memory card of your equipment will be chosen according to the range of the latter. XQD modules are popular today for their versatility and affordable cost. Going up a grade, you have SXS with faster writing skills. The most efficient model remains the SR type. However, it is not the cheapest in comparison with the other two categories. It will be necessary to pay the price to acquire it.