A professional photoshoot costs differently. The final amount that will have to be paid is affected by the hourly pay of the photographer’s work. The venue, the required equipment, the services of experts as stylists, hairdressers, and others play an important role in photoshoot costs. If you correctly approach the photography firm, the photoshoot cost will be less than initially expected.
Features of Price Formation for A Photoshoot
The rapid development of the photo industry has led to the number of photographers offering their services has increased significantly. A well-known factor affecting how much a photoshoot cost is a terrain. The price in large cities is much higher than in villages, however, and the quality of the result is also different. For example, in New York, the average cost of an hour-long photo session in the studio is from $200 to $600.
It is essential to immediately specify the range of services, deadlines for completing the task, and all other points. The photographer can orient you on the price only after discovering what plot and other shooting features you have chosen. The formation of prices is influenced by:
- the amount of necessary equipment – a photoshoot underwater requires much more devices than on the street;
- the quality of the camera and other equipment used;
- the photographer’s demand;
- time of photography – you will have to pay extra for urgency;
- payment for transport and other additional services of the photographer, especially when leaving the city.
Also, the price of the photoshoot depend on photographer’s expertise and experience.
Photography, the price of which is so tiny that it arouses suspicion, is unlikely to earn the trust of someone who wants to get professional shots. Photographers can be divided into several groups, belonging to which affects the level of pay for their work:
- “Photography as a hobby” – some people like to take pictures so much that they devote their free time to it, although the cost is low, you can meet excellent masters among them;
- Students are those who study photography, and their prices are less than those who have been working for a long time;
- Semi-professionals are those who have already graduated, have work experience, but not much;
- Professionals are the most expensive photographers who know their business perfectly.
The average cost of different types of shooting is:
- wedding – $200-$600 per hour;
- portrait – $150-$400 per hour;
- children’s photoshoot – $200-$500 per hour;
- photo session of pregnant women, family – $200-$600 per hour;
- the exit (outdoor) photography fee is $250-$700 per hour.
Novice photographers usually take an amount close to the first boundary of the average cost, professionals to the second.
Selection of The Photo Studio/Photographer
Experts recommended by well-known publications, mass media, social networks are always in great demand. On the one hand, this indicates their demand, but not always about professionalism.
Promotion should not be a decisive criterion when choosing a photographer and/or studio. Some advertise themselves because they cannot find a job on their own. Others became famous because they had a lot of satisfied customers. Considering your favorite photoshoots studio or photographer, look more at the past results and reviews.
Clothing and Accessories Cost
The final amount will depend mainly on the clothes and accessories used. If you have a studio photoshoot, they usually offer a stylist, makeup artist, and hairdresser at once. If you take pictures in other places, you will have to search for clothes and accessories yourself.
Shooting requires a lot of clothing costs if the plot requires it. For example, if a model has chosen the image of a princess, she will need a magnificent dress, an elegant hairstyle, accessories, shoes. All this will need to be paid for; however, it will not be possible to create the desired image without these details. The cost of renting magnificent dresses usually ranges from $100 to $1000.
Equipment and Supplies
The photographer informs about the equipment and consumables after he learns the plot of the shooting. The most expensive photo shoots that require a large number of professional attributes are:
- at sunset/dawn;
- black and white;
- with fire;
- with mirrors.
Venue & Location Cost
The main stage of preparation for a photoshoot, on which you can save money, is the choice of its venue. If you don’t have a lot of money, you can do without a studio. It is possible to get great pictures at home, on the city’s streets, in nature. Do not think that these places are chosen only because of the cost – some people like the evening city or the morning by the lake.
It is unlikely to save money on choosing a studio, except to take advantage of promotions or do without makeup artists hairdressers. It is important to remember that it is better to select the second if you choose between an expensive studio and a successful photographer.
Cost of the Makeup Artist, and Stylist for A Photoshoot
It may cost you from $100-$500 per day. Makeup artists and stylists are masters who help models create an image. If you decide to apply makeup and choose a style yourself, take the time to prepare. Rehearse them in advance to know how you will look in the frame.
If you have a photoshoot in the style of cosplay or other modern images, you will definitely need professional makeup, hairstyle, and help to choose a wardrobe. Find specialists who will help you create an image in advance to be confident in yourself and your appearance before the photoshoot.
The Work of A Clothing Stylist
Many people think they have good taste, but the clothes were chosen for everyday life, and thematic photoshoots are very different. Therefore, if you have an intricate image or plot selected for shooting, it is better to turn to professionals. Their advantage also lies in the fact that they will pick up clothes on the topic and your style, taking into account the features of the figure, hair color, eyes, etc.
Cost of Reportage Photography
This shooting is carried out in motion. New challenges appear before the photographer: to anticipate the moment at which an exciting frame will turn out, to have time to capture it. You can not distract yourself for a minute to not miss the important.
Reportage photography is filled with emotions, and it can convey feelings and capture perfect views. Of course, this requires the photographer to have specific equipment and skills so that the cost will be appropriate. The average cost of reportage style photoshoot is $250 to $300.
You may also like to read: Photoshoot Style Guide: Popular Photoshoot Styles for Stunning Photographs
Post Processing & Photo Retouching Cost
Photo processing is something that takes most of the photographer’s time. Few professionals trust retouching to others, usually the master himself, and continue his work.
For photographers, the price of shooting sometimes seems exaggerated, but it is essential to keep in mind that it may take a whole day to process the images after an hour-long photo shoot. It may cost you up to $100 for a photoshoot session.
Most photographers’ service packages include:
- rent a photo studio;
- working with multiple images;
- equipment for their creation.
However, it is better to check with the expert in advance what exactly is included in the range of his services and what additional payment will be required.
Tips on Saving Money for A Photoshoot
Many manage to save money by following such simple rules:
- Arrange with the photographer in advance, and urgent work is always paid more.
- Choose an image that you can choose clothes and shoes for yourself to save money on the work of a stylist.
- Don’t be afraid to try to apply makeup, do your hair. Having done the same thing several times, no matter you can get a normal result than that of professionals.
- Choose studios, who are not in the city center, they are the most expensive.
- Think about shooting in nature. If you spend time searching for suitable but accessible places, you can find decent options.
The cost of a good photographer’s work cannot be low; however, you can save on other details and features of the shooting. If you spend time preparing and rehearsing, you can do a lot independently. The main thing is to get in a good mood and not worry about the little things.