Today I am going to tell you about 5 smoke bomb photography ideas. Colored smoke bombs – an original daytime firework that “smokes” with colored smoke – red, blue, orange, green. It came into civilian life from military life, where it was used as a smoke screen from enemies. This type of fireworks has come into fashion relatively recently but has already gained popularity as an attribute for photo shoots.
5 Smoke Bomb Photography Ideas
1. When buying colored smoke bombs, remember that it is better to use colored smoke outdoors, choosing an outdoor area in advance. This could be:
- an open lawn with low grass – then there will be no unnecessary details in the picture, you will be in the center of the frame, and smoke can fill the space at your feet and above your head;
- a field with tall grass to the waist – it is better to take portraits here, smoke should be blown over your head;
- forest – and trees can be both behind the model, and the model can stand among the trees – then the smoke will effectively “crawl” between the trunks;
- the bank of a river or lake is another place that will make photos brighter in the literal sense of the word, because there will be twice as much colored smoke in the picture – real and its reflection in the water.
2. As a “hoaxer” – if you want to make a photo session in the “fantasy” style, then you will definitely need: a dense forest, a white or black owl, a mantle with a hood and a smoke-fog, and both silvery white and colored if you want to add color and mood to your photo. The torches do not have to be held in your hands; you can stick them into the ground to create the effect of earthen colored geysers.
3. As a bright contrast to clothes – for example, you are having a “mystical” photo session in dark colors, pick up bright scarlet smoke for it, which will become an accent symbol. Colored fireworks also become an original accent on wedding photo shoots, as they look interesting in combination with the light tones of the newlyweds’ clothes. Give each bridesmaid and groom’s friend a torch of different shades and line them up in a wedge behind the newlyweds – and now the unusual photo is ready. You can also prepare such a color show as a wedding gift.
4. Does your wedding or birthday have a specific color scheme? Support that with the color of a smoke torch. Smoke bombs can also play the role of decorations at themed parties: the role of stage smoke during the dance of young people, the role of rainbow clouds at a children’s birthday party, the role of club colored smoke at corporate parties and many other options.
5. Mix – it is not necessary to choose colored smoke for a photo shoot of the same color – mix several shades at once. Draw with this smoke through the air, for example, let the lovers draw a bright heart around them, while using red and green smoke torches. The main thing is only to have time for the photographer to shoot this action.
Smoke torches are the safest and easiest to use fireworks. It starts to smoke immediately after you light the fuse. The simplest and most important rule is not to point the torch at your clothes, then you will not get dirty. You can be in the puffs of smoke; it will not damage your outfit. The smoking time depends on the brand and manufacturer, on average 90 seconds. This is enough to make a series of bright shots.
Types of Colored Smoke Bombs for Photo Shoots
Here are the main types of colored smoke bombs you can use for photo shoots.
Smoke Fountain: Running color smoke, excellent price quality, a range of colors – red, blue, green, yellow, orange, white. According to the instructions from the manufacturer, these smoke bombs cannot be held in your hands.
It quickly flares up and gives out the average volume in a short time and then gradually decreases. The average Smoking time is 30 seconds. You need a fire to set the wick on fire. You can get in on Amazon for $16.99 – Product Link.
Smoke Torch: These type of color smokes has a convenient cardboard handle. You can hold it in your hands, in the photo the smoke is thick and tangles. The disadvantage is that it often doesn’t work, the loop just comes off, and the photo session is disrupted. It doesn’t have a purple color.
Starts by setting fire to the wick. The smoke in the photo is not so saturated, sometimes even semi-transparent, your photos will look as if you have finished drawing smoke in photoshop. Smoke time is 40 seconds. You can get it on Amazon for $79 (pack of 6 torches) – Product Link.
Smoke Bomb: If you need a lot of volume smoke, then this smoke is for you. The disadvantage is that these are powerful, and you cannot hold them in your hands, they heat up very much. It has a metal body. Advantages – no need for fire, pull the loop and move away. But again, this is not a reliable option, there is a very low percentage of proper work.
Smoke bomb is the thickest smoke, often used for the background at wedding photo shoots, the wind will hardly blow away such a stream of smoke. You can get it on Amazon for $5.66 – Product Link.
Smoking Pot: An absolute copy of Smoke Bomb, the difference is you need wick to start. These smoke pots can be held in your hands according to the instructions. Right on the smoke bomb is drawn a place for hands, has an elongated cone, easily snapped off by hand. Appeared on the market of pyrotechnics in 2018. This smoke is perfect for wedding photo shoots, usually newlyweds ask for smoke that can be held directly in their hands, while it does not have the same power, but for a wedding photo shoot it is the best.
Smoke according to the instructions for 40-50 seconds. In fact, 50-60 seconds. The color range includes rare colors. Another plus – this smoke will not let you down, as it is started by the wick, and this is the most reliable method of starting. The entire body of the smoke bomb is drawn to match the color of smoke, it looks great in the photo.
You may also like to read: Boudoir Photography Ideas: 28 Boudoir Poses to Improve Your Boudoir Photography
Basic Rules for Using Smoke Bombs in Photoshoot
It is best to launch any smoke bomb from the ground, wait for the spark to pass and it will start to smoke.
- Do not get up close to the checker, if you are afraid for the wedding dress or clothing, this is pyrotechnics and decay products can shoot out of the checker, this applies to powerful smoke.
- Do not run in the rain. Smoke in the rain does not look spectacular it is not visible.
- Consider the wind direction, so that the smoke does not go into the camera.
- Do not aim at clothing specifically, the smoke may stain if you do it intentionally.
- Do not smoke in public places or crowded areas.
- The perfect place for a photo shoot is where there is no wind, forest or abandoned premises.
- The case is hot after use. Do not leave the checker after use, throw it away according to the instructions, as indicated on the package.