Lighting devices do not stand still and constantly surprise consumers with their novelties and non-standard solutions (thanks to the movement of scientific and technological progress). One of the most non-standard types of luminaires that have found widespread use today is strobe light. Strobe lights have many distinctive features, advantages, and disadvantages, which we will discuss in more detail in today’s article.
The stroboscope was invented in 1836 by Joseph Plateau, professor at the University of Ghent (Belgium). In 1931, MIT professor Dr. Harold Eugene Edgerton developed the xenon flash lamp. Thanks to this invention, the stroboscope was also used in photography and many areas of commerce and industry.
A strobe light is a light source that instantly turns on and off. It is a tool for showing and adjusting moving or vibrating objects by illuminating them with flash lamps to create a still effect.
A strobe light produces a brief burst of light, one hundred thousandths of a second long. Thanks to short bursts of high intensity, the image of the subject “freezes” on the retina of the eye, creating a clear freeze frame.
The stroboscopic effect is a kind of optical illusion.
If an object continues to move, its movement is perceived as a series of freezes, whether it be the movement of a baseball or a person dancing under a strobe light in a disco.
As you know stroboscope is a unique lighting installation capable of creating a stroboscopic effect for the emitted light flux. This effect is based on the perception by the human brain of the so-called afterimage. As a result, the device produces bright and repetitive flashes of light at high speed to create this effect.
The principle of operation is based on the characteristic nuances of perception by human visual analyzers of moving objects against the background of flashes of a light source. In a situation where there is a combination (coincidence) of the frequency of movement of a rotating object with the frequency of flashes of light for a person who observes this phenomenon, it will seem that the moving object is at rest.
Even though it is not so easy to create a stroboscopic effect, such devices in their most unpretentious interpretation already existed in the last century. In those days, a stroboscope with a gas discharge lamp was used to adjust a disc’s rotation speed in a turntable.
Today, there are several types of stroboscopes, which, according to their design features, are divided into the following types:
- Electro-Optical. To interrupt the luminous flux in such devices, light shutters are used. Their work is based on a variety of optoelectronic effects;
- Optical-Mechanical. Such devices are also called tachometers. Discs with slits are used here as a light interrupter;
- Electronic. They include an electronic circuit. It is a pulse generator that regulates the pulse frequency, as well as the light source. In the role of a light source in electronic models, either LED bulbs or gas-discharge lamps are often used;
- Oscillographic. They are used for all kinds of surveys of electronic circuits.
Note: Today, electronic strobe lights are the most popular and famous in the world. But this is far from the only classification of devices operating on the principle of creating a stroboscopic effect.
Uses of Strobe Lights: Where Are Strobe Lights Used?
The use of strobe light (of various types) is currently possible in a wide variety of areas of human activity. According to the scope of application, such installations are divided into:
- For nightclubs, discos and other entertainment events;
- In the advertising field (in particular for outdoor advertising);
- Flashlight stroboscopes.
In addition, very often, such products are used in the scientific field to study systematic processes. For example, to take measurements regarding the amplitude movements of various objects and objects.
Another area where you might not expect to find a stroboscope is medicine. Here, such devices are used as a laryngophone for people with various speech disorders.
Consider the features of work, as well as the advantages and disadvantages of the most popular types of lighting devices capable of creating a stroboscopic effect.
Types of Strobe Light (Stroboscopic Light Instruments)
In addition to the classification by design features, stroboscopes are divided into three more groups:
- With Base;
- Baseless. They have two lead-out contact fields for connecting them directly to the mains;
- Super Strobes. They look like a plastic pipe, the length of which can be 1.5 meter. Inside there are 4 to 8 stroboscopic bulbs. For their operation, a special connection is required through the appropriate controller. With its help, it will be possible to create the effect of “running fire.”
The light emitted by super-strobes is visible at a distance of up to three Kilometers. It is even though conventional models shine at a maximum distance of 1 km. Different types of stroboscopes are used, respectively, in other areas.
1. Automotive Strobe Lights
For satisfactory operation of the car, correct installation of the initial ignition moment is necessary. In addition, proper operation of the ignition timing controllers (vacuum, centrifugal) is also required. If these elements were installed incorrectly, it would lead to an increase in fuel consumption and a decrease in the life of the vehicle in the correct mode.
Automotive stroboscopes were developed to regulate processes so crucial to the machine optimally.
Automotive strobes can be used to check or set the initial ignition timing. Its installation allows you to eliminate all possible malfunctions in this area, which will positively affect the movement of the machine, engine operation, and waste on fuel.
In addition, products equipped with LED light sources are often installed on bumpers or radiators. With their help, you can draw attention to the car of other drivers. A strobe light is beneficial at night. The stroboscope circuit equipped with LED bulbs does not imply using an onboard current converter for a car.
Here, a 12 V battery is needed to power the LEDs. In this case, instead of a master oscillator for a led switching power supply, you can use a one-shot. When a spark is formed, it will synchronize the signals coming from the engine cylinder. You need a pulse from the driver stage to power the led, which goes to the electronic switch. It includes powerful transistors.
In addition to LED models, products equipped with gas-discharge lamps are often used for cars. The circuit of such a device has the following elements:
- Inertia less pulsed gas-discharge lamp. Its ignition circuits in the engine are connected to the spark plug of the first cylinder;
- Resistors and capacitors generate a voltage in the circuit.
When a spark forms in the engine cylinder, the gas discharge lamp emits a pulse of light. The adjustment of the adequacy of the functioning of the ignition moment and the actions of the ignition timing controllers are carried out according to the marks placed on the moving part of the engine.
2. Strobe Light Models Designed for Discos
Probably the most anticipated place where we meet strobe lights will be discos and other entertainment events. Here, lighting systems provide intermittent lighting that visually “stops” the people dancing on the dance floor.
In addition, with the help of such devices on the stage or in the hall, you can create a variety of lighting effects.
Note: The use of five primary colors will create a wide variety of shades. They can be effectively diffused with frosted glass.
This area of application also includes stroboscopic stage lighting. But here, there are limitations to the use of strobe lights as a backlight. In a disco, nightclub, or stage, both lamp and LED lighting installations can be used.
3. Strobe Lights in Advertising and Architectural Lighting
Another place where strobe lights are often used is in advertising and architectural lighting of buildings and billboards.
With the help of such a backlight, you can achieve many positive aspects:
- attracting potential customers;
- high-quality lighting of buildings or billboards;
- highlighting a store or architectural structure against the background of the rest of the illumination of the night city;
- aesthetic and decorative illumination of various objects.
Two types of LED fixtures are used in this area:
- Surface-mounted models, including a group of 20 LEDs. They are placed in a sealed housing and a transparent shade;
- Flash lamps. Here the LEDs are also collected in a group and placed in a housing with an E-27 base.
The choice of the stroboscope model here is based on the surface to be illuminated.
4. Flashlight Stroboscope
Another attractive model is strobe lights. Such lighting systems have two modes of operation: normal and, in fact, stroboscopic.
Note that when the flashlight operates in stroboscopic mode, the following consequences are possible:
- violation of peripheral and direct vision;
- the appearance of short-term confusion and fear.
In this regard, such devices can be used as an element of self-defense when attacking aggressively-minded persons in the dark. Very often, police officers use such devices in their work.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Strobe Lights
The advantages of all stroboscopes, regardless of their scope, include:
- creating a variety of lighting effects;
- the ability to connect musical accompaniment;
- making the necessary atmosphere for a holiday and celebration;
- the ability to adjust the brightness of the emitted light flux.
It is LED devices that are most popular today. It is due to the merits of the light sources themselves, which include:
- efficiency in terms of electricity consumption;
- creation of high-quality light flux;
- different colors of diodes glow;
- the long period of service;
- they are highly resistant to various types of influences, mainly mechanical ones;
- complete safety and environmental friendliness.
The disadvantages of such products, regardless of the light source, include the high cost and the impossibility of being in the stroboscopic effect for an extended period, as this leads to eye fatigue.
You may also like to read: Strobe Photography: A Brief Guide & Important Tips about Strobe Photography
Strobe Lights as lighting elements are currently used in a wide variety of areas of human activity, from entertainment to professional. Therefore, information about what this device is, its main features of operation, and its advantages and disadvantages will help you choose the suitable model for a specific case.